Employee Motivation is a necessary tool in the work place and researching on different ways to keep employees motivated is a never ending task organisations face. People are motivated differently and understanding what motivates you can make a huge difference in the performance of your duties. Motivation cannot be imposed as it starts from within. Below are 10 ways to find it and make it work for you;
A great employee is one who inspires his boss as much as his boss inspires him.
- Develop Rare and Valuable Skills: Every employee wants to be seen, appreciated and commended but for you to attain all this, you need to put in the work. Praise doesn’t come without merit. Work on yourself and develop rare and valuable skills that will take you to the heights of your career. Keep researching and learning every day and never stop trying to be a better version of yourself.
- Set Goals: Defined goals give you a direction and guide on what you need to attain. When you set goals for yourself and you are lagging behind, you keep working till you achieve them. After which you set an even higher goal. This way, you keep developing skills that will make you invaluable.
- Take Breaks: It’s important not to spend the whole day at your desk doing the same thing over and over again. A little bit of fresh air and a discussion separate from work can help you make better decisions related to work or achieve your goals. The body needs rest to function properly. Breaks are good! Step out of the office for lunch or for a walk.
- Focus on the job, don’t focus on the person: Most employees take corrections as criticisms and then conclude their bosses don’t like them. Corrections are good because they only make you better. Focus on the job you are doing and be ready to learn as much as you can. Remember, the expert in anything was once a beginner.
- Ask For Autonomy: Having control over what you do is a motivator itself. If you work in a place where there is no autonomy then ask for it. A job without autonomy is not motivating. Asking for control over your work entails you performing excellently and exhibiting convincing skills that you can do the task ahead of you with little or no supervision.
- Reward yourself: Everyone loves rewards but we forget to reward ourselves when we achieve our goals. The rewards we give ourselves for doing something that we thought was not achievable can be a motivator to make us do more. If you haven’t rewarded yourself in a while, go ahead and do that this week. You deserve it.
- Build Work Relationships: You spend most of your time at work so why not be friendly with your colleagues. Having a cordial relationship with your colleagues makes you more comfortable, makes work easier and more tolerable.
- Contribute to Others: By contributing, you gain perspective on your life and appreciate the things you have learned. In turn, you get more motivated to learn more.
- Look for New Challenges/Responsibilities/Opportunities : Doing the same thing over and over again can be tiring and boring. Think positive and explore other ways of doing work. Interesting and challenging work is motivating.
- Personalize your work space: A few personal touches to your work space can have a physical and psychological effect to improve your productivity at work. You can pin up some pictures, have a plant, organize your desk etc.
How do you stay motivated at work???
Thanks for reading.