I started working out and eating healthy over a year ago… What forced me to take control of my body and life in general was because my clothes stopped fitting. Besides the fact that I couldn’t afford to change my whole wardrobe, I didn’t want to hate myself. The journey hasn’t been easy I must say but it has been fulfilling and is still ongoing. Below is a history of my fitness journey;
1. Treadmill: I started by running 3 times a week on the treadmill at home that was never used. It got boring…
2. 7 Minutes workout: I tried this app for about a month but I didn’t see any progress even though my colleagues at the time told me I was losing weight.
3. Eating Healthy: I had to give upmy favourite meals; toast and rice. I ate toast after work and napped right after every other day. This wasn’t the pop up toast… The other kind with a whole egg in two slices of bread with cornbeef or sardines. Mehn…. typing that just made me hungry. I loved white bread so much I could just eat it that way without anything. I had no idea this was killing me.
If you are Nigerian, rice is the norm and we all grew up eating it; jollof, fried, concotion, rice and stew etc.
A colleague at work once asked me to write down everything I eat and here goes;
- TEA( notice its in caps)
- Lots of Fruit/ Juices
- Wheat Bread
- Fruit and fibre cereal
- Skimmed Milk/ Almond Milk/ Coconut Milk
- Beans(my favourite)
- Salad – the healthy kind with fresh veggies( I think Majik Juice does the best salads)
- Sweet Potato fries
- Bulgar Wheat
- Spelt/ Semolina Pasta
- Boiled Plantain
- Plantain Flour
4. Focus T25: I found Shaun T and he changed me!!! I followed the T25 workout program diligently and I started seeing changes in my body in the Beta stage i.e after 8 weeks. Shaun T is bae, I love him.
5. Running: my new sport is running. I still consider myself a beginner because besides my treadmill days, I’ve ran the Lekki-Ikoyi bridge only twice. My bestie told me about the 0 to 5km app and I used it for the second time today…
I am still on the self love journey though I love my body transformation so far. Its so amazing what we can do for ourselves if we TRY.